Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Cold Takes: GameFace

Hi internet,

It's Cat again. This time I watched a TV show.

Streaming Service: I found GameFace on Hulu. You can watch all 6 episodes of series 1.

Temperature: Lukewarm. Series 1 aired from October to November 2017.

I quite liked the show. I wouldn't claim it's without flaws but I found it a pleasant diversion and in half hour increments, it never overstays its welcome. The show was created and written by Roisin Conaty. I enjoyed her appearance on Travel Man but I wouldn't say I'm a fan. However, it didn't take her long to win me over as Marcella, the protagonist of the show. GameFace certainly isn't treading unfamiliar ground with 20- to 30-something messiness framed by life coaching sessions that are essentially unhelpful therapy. Where GameFace stands apart for me is its affably casual demeanor. Characters are able to make bad decisions without the show grinding your face in misery and watching someone you've grown to like be repeatedly fail and be humiliated. (Looking at you, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.) Marcella's life isn't fixed overnight but she isn't constantly sliding backwards either because the show is afraid of letting her make progress. Progress is just slow because life is difficult. There's a balance between drama and comedy but I have to admit, most of the jokes don't land for me. However, there's at least one thing an episode that makes me laugh and for me, that's pretty decent for a half hour comedy. For example, in the pilot, I just cringed at the Friends guy but they got me with the guard who tackles her off the roof. If I had a criticism, it's that the show doesn't feel grounded enough. I don't need every lie to lead to an exposure or confrontation but the show lacks stakes when we know she has money problems but hasn't done anything to earn money and yet continues using services (life coaching, driving lessons) that require money. One character's drug addiction seems so well-managed that you wonder about the urgency of rehabilitation. That said, if there is a series 2, I hope they find a way to keep Jon her (currently unpaid?) driving instructor on the show. I would miss his lovely soft voice and reluctant but sweet supportiveness. I'm glad she has girlfriends and roommates as well but there's something that warms my heart about Jon always being there for her with his car... even if it's because she keeps forgetting her appointments for driving lessons.